Skip to main content

The Infinite Orb





It was a normal, sunny day and I took a deep breath in as I smelled the fresh scents of the garden. It was still early; around 8 am. I had been taking my usual morning stroll through the wonderful scenery before going back inside my apartment to have coffee and read the newspaper.

As I sipped at the steaming cup, I would often glance out at the window, checking the weather was all good before I went out to buy a few groceries at the market. Everyone always sold the same items, never changing their stock for even a day. The market crowd got to know each other real well, especially since there was no competition.You sold the foods you had, and no one else sold the same. What you have is what everyone else has. It is quite a good system if you think about it. Everyone at peace. However, it can be dull at times. When a seller is out of stock or no one in town sells the items, you can’t buy it. Or order it.

However, I am not here to bore you about the daily, repetitive life of this town. It is important though. Lately I’ve been feeling disconnected, like my world has fallen down but it didn’t fully recover. Perhaps I am feeling off from dropping the glass orb on the floor, almost breaking it. A small crack has appeared on the side.

Perhaps I should note that my world is not like yours. Maybe it is, I’m not really sure because I have nothing to compare my world to. But everyday at precisely 7:00 am, the sun pops up into the sky at midday. I like organization so I run my schedule that I wake up at 6:30 am, shower and dress. At exactly 7:00 am I open my bedroom door and turn on my living room light. Sometimes I try to sync my light switch with the sun, but I always end up being a second too early. I have much more fun doing that than I’d like to admit. I leave the lights on in my apartment although I’m not exactly sure why. Perhaps so that I don’t feel so lonely when I return.

It never rains here. just various patches of darkness that we call clouds.  I had read about rain in a textbook I found at the back of my closet. I had no idea where it came from, perhaps the neighbours or previous owners left it behind.It talked about concepts completely foreign to me. I’m not much of a reader, so without bothering to finish it, I tossed it back in the confines of my closet.

My day goes on without change, I keep it in order. I like no change, makes life easier to control. My days are the same as everyone else in the town. Repetitive but never tedious, Organized but never boring. We all fit into our place and live happy lives.

And as I walk by that shelf containing the glass orb, with a small crack, a patch of dark clouds passes overhead creating a shadow of sorts. As I turn the light off in the living room, where it is held, the sun pops out of view eerily in sync. And when I accidentally spilled coffee on the orb, a sudden rain of brown liquid, coffee, fell from the sky. And inside that orb, contained a man. A man whose life was repetitive, but never tedious, organized but never boring. And he too, had a glass orb on the shelf. Just as the million other orbs, one each sitting on that mans shelf.

Repetitive but never Tedious, Organized but never boring, for they were all the same man.

-Jethro C.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I've Learned...

Written by Andy Rooney, a man who had the gift of saying so much with so few words. Rooney used to be on 60 Minutes TV show. I've learned.... That the best classroom in the world is at the feet of an elderly person. I've learned.... That when you're in love, it shows. I've learned .... That just one person saying to me, 'You've made my day!' makes my day. I've learned.... That having a child fall asleep in your arms is one of the most peaceful feelings in the world. I've learned.... That being kind is more important than being right. I've learned.... That you should never say no to a gift from a child. I've learned.... That I can always pray for someone when I don't have the strength to help him in any other way. I've learned.... That no matter how serious your life requires you to be, everyone needs a friend to act goofy with. I've learned.... That sometimes all a person needs is a hand to hold and a heart to understand. I'