Skip to main content

Little Girl



Isabella’s eyes sprang open. She pulled the covers up to her eyes, afraid to turn over and look out her window.

The woods were where she had seen the little girl; in a dirty white dress, running and terrified.

Just look out the window. She isn’t there.

She could see her own breath, the room was freezing.

A shadow moved into the moonlight on the wall.

SOMEONE IS IN MY ROOM!

She pulled the covers over her face and screamed.

Suddenly, she felt a hand on her shoulder. She kicked and tried to burrow further under the covers, but something tore the covers away.

Isabella huddled against the headboard. She couldn’t hear her own screaming.

The girl stood beside her, in the white dress and filthy. Part of her face missing, exposing skull and an empty eye socket, the other eye milky white.

“A little boy killed me.”

The girl’s head tilted as she spoke.

“Billy killed me and buried me in the woods.”

Isabella’s door opened and her parents rushed in.

“Izzy, baby you are having a nightmare.” said her mom.

“Mom a dead girl was in my room! A boy named Billy killed her and buried her in the woods!”

Her dad brushed back her hair.

“Sweetie we have lived here since you were born. I grew up here. Your grandfather built this house. No one is buried in the woods and I don’t remember any Billy.”

“Sleep with us,” her mom said, taking Isabella’s hand.

As she got off the bed, Isabella saw her dad walking to the window, looking towards the woods.

Her mom turned and stopped.

“William, are you ok?”

–                                              
Credits to: FestusMaximus

HINT: 
William can be shortened to ‘Billy’. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I've Learned...

Written by Andy Rooney, a man who had the gift of saying so much with so few words. Rooney used to be on 60 Minutes TV show. I've learned.... That the best classroom in the world is at the feet of an elderly person. I've learned.... That when you're in love, it shows. I've learned .... That just one person saying to me, 'You've made my day!' makes my day. I've learned.... That having a child fall asleep in your arms is one of the most peaceful feelings in the world. I've learned.... That being kind is more important than being right. I've learned.... That you should never say no to a gift from a child. I've learned.... That I can always pray for someone when I don't have the strength to help him in any other way. I've learned.... That no matter how serious your life requires you to be, everyone needs a friend to act goofy with. I've learned.... That sometimes all a person needs is a hand to hold and a heart to understand. I'