Skip to main content

The Hiking Trail




I remember back in my teen years, I heard some sort of urban legend that goes on near a hiking area in my hometown.

During the day time, it's perfectly normal, with its usual 8 routes to choose from to hike to the top of the hill. But when it gets dark or you get caught in a foggy afternoon close to the twilight hours, that's where you will find a 9th trail that appears out of nowhere.

They say that you will know you have ventured into the 9th trail when the trees are so thick, no sunlight can penetrate it, and you only hear the sound of crows cawing. If you noticed these signs, it is advised to turn back and retrace your steps, and whatever you do, do not react at the slightest sound you hear no matter what. Pretend as if you don't hear anything, keep your eyes straightforward on the road to back track to the original starting point, and if you are traveling with your friends, don't speak a word to each other and never call out to each other by your real names.

Some say the 9th trail appeared was to lure people into the Otherworld where the spirits of people who had died from hiking accidents reside, unable to move on due to their regrets in life or unfinished business. Others say that it was created by the forest spirits or djinns who like to play practical jokes on mortals, often with deadly consequences. The most prominent hearsay is that the 9th trail belong to a pair of child spirits who want to look for new playmates to play with.

It's not fully verified, but those who wandered into the 9th trail will find themselves lost for a moment before they hear the sound of children's laughter. If they follow the sounds, they will come across a boy and a girl playing rock-paper-scissors on a rocky flight of stairs, and they will invite you to come join them. Refusing them will only cause you to be lost forever in the 9th trail, going around in circles, and you always end up returning back to them, in which they will invite you again, and the cycle repeats forever until you lose your mind.

If you accept their invitation, they will explain the rules to you: The starting point is at the top of the stairs. If you win a round, you go down one step, and if you lose a round, you go up one step. If you get to the bottom of the steps, you win the game. Then they will ask you to choose your opponent.

There is a catch though: whoever you choose, you will always lose. If you choose the girl, you will always win and go down a step, but the steps will never reach the bottom, and you will keep winning until you lose sight of the girl and she will say "I'm bored. Goodbye" and leave you behind, and no matter how long you climb down those stairs, you will never reach the bottom and you will lose your mind as well.

If you choose the boy, you will first have a small winning streak, but then after that you will keep losing and you will keep going up and up and up until you lose sight of the boy. He will say the same thing and leave you behind, and when you try to go down the steps to find him, you will be filled with an indescribable sense of dread that you can't explain and it'll force you to go back up, climbing the neverending steps until you die of exhaustion.

Truth be told, no one really knows what happens. It may all be just hearsay or local hiking superstition or just an urban legend. But the 9th trail is often called out as one of the reasons people go mysteriously missing without a trace during hiking, so it is seriously stressed that no one hikes there after dark and must always finish their hike before then.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets