Skip to main content

Old Friend


Am I crazy? Seriously, my phone is ringing. It's Austin, I know! I don't want to talk to him. I know he cares about me and he loves me, but, I don't care. I have my old friend now. I won't answer. Never. Never! Everybody's searching for me. I am not in the mood to see them.

Let me tell you how I met him. It all started two months ago at my uncle's apartment. He lives in a suburb of Athens. This suburb is right next to the suburb I live in. He lives in a block of flats that he owns. This block of flats has three apartments. He lives in the first apartment and in the second one is a guy named Austin from the U.K. And the other is empty.

I've always wanted to live in that apartment. Not only because I would not pay much money but also because it was next to Austin's. I've always thought there was a flirt between us. I like him a lot. And he likes me, too. Finally, my uncle said he would let me live there.

It was three days before I would move in my new apartment and finally leave my parents' house. I was enjoying a cup of coffee with my mom.

"So, have you checked the apartment?"

"Of course, mom. It is a really nice place. I will visit uncle in some minutes to check it again. I want to think about some changes to make in it. You know, it does not have a modern... atmosphere."

"I know... This block of flats was where we lived when we were kids..."

"Oh, Mom! Don’t start again the same story. I’ve heard it a lot of times."

"Ok," she said smiling, "go now. John's waiting. So is Austin," she said with a naughty look on her face.

Yes, I think she had understood something. She had seen me go on dates with Austin a lot of times. I finished my coffee, took my bag and left the house.

On the way to my uncle's house I stopped in a patisserie to buy something to bring him. As I entered the patisserie I saw a customer. He was wearing black clothes. His hair was black, too. Really attractive man. He had bought a cake. The woman who was working there wrapped the box with the cake, put it into a bag and gave it to the man. He paid and turned to leave. As he turned and saw me his face became white like a sheet of paper. He was shocked. '"Is something wrong?" I asked.

'"Oh, um... Sorry! You look exactly like someone I know. Excuse me, what's your name?" he said.

"Demetra, I think you have made a mistake."

"Oh, Ok. Sorry, again. Have a nice day," he replied looking even more shocked.

What was that now? Who is that guy? He is... No, no. He just thought I am someone else. Of course! There should be someone out there that looks like me. Yes, that's it. Don't think stupid thoughts Demetra. But... He looks familiar to me. No! It's just my mind! I don't know that guy.

I bought an apple pie and went to my uncle’s house. I stayed a little bit at his apartment and then went downstairs to see Austin. I knocked the door and a cute, blonde and tall man opened the door. He was surprised to see me and he hugged me. "Sorry for appearing like that," he said. He was wearing his pajamas.

"It's ok. You look cute even like that." We both laughed. After talking a little bit, he told me he was really happy that I was moving in the next apartment. He also told me that he had never been in this apartment and told me to come with me and check it out.

We decided to go together. As we opened the door a sound from inside the bedroom was heard. It was something like footsteps. "Did you hear that?" I said really scared. You know I get scared easily.

"Yes, I did. Calm down. It could be a cat that climbed from the tree and got into the house from the window," he said, "and you know there are many cats in this neighbourhood."

"Yes, you are right!" I said.

I showed him the house until it was time to enter the bedroom. The window was open. The cat could have entered from there. But what if…? No, come on Demetra. Calm down. There was a photograph on the bed. "Oh, Look! A photograph!" said Austin and he picked it up. "John must have left it here."

"Let me see."

I took the photo from Austin's hand.

When I looked at it I was shocked! In the photograph was the man that I saw in the patisserie! He was wearing the same clothes. The photograph was cut in two pieces. I searched for a little bit but I found the other piece. I put the two pieces together. Now you could clearly see two men. One of them was... My dad!? My dad died years ago! Before I was born! The photo was really old. After some minutes I noticed that the man's face was the same. Without any wrinkles at all! If he was my dad's friend then how didn't he change?

Why didn't he look like a man at his age? It's been twenty-eight years since then. In the photo he looks like he's forty years old. So how can't he grow up? What was all that? Why was this photo there? Something is not right! Seriously! I turned the pieces of the photo around and what I saw shocked me even more! There was something written on the pieces. I could clearly see it.

"We all come for one reason." was written on the piece with the man and on the piece with my dad, "We want to become your friend."

Friend? What? I don't know him! I don't want to become friends! Or...do I know him?

Minutes passed and I wasn't talking. I was just looking the photos shocked! Austin could not stand that anymore so he talked to me.

'"Are you okay? What happened? Why aren't you talking?"

I just looked at him and hugged him. Then I said,

"He is coming. My old friend. They won't believe me. They didn't believe me then. So that cannot change... People cannot change. So does he."

The days passed and I moved in my new apartment. Neither me nor Austin had mentioned anything about what happened. He didn't want to remind me of what was going to happen. I had almost forgotten about it until two days ago.

As a strong Creepypasta reader, I was reading a Creepypasta about Slenderman. It was late at night so I decided to go to sleep. I left the computer open. I fell asleep really fast. A loud noise woke me up. I went into the kitchen. I looked at the computer screen. There was a photo of me when I was four years old. I closed the window and I saw that there was a Microsoft Word window opened.

I clicked on it. There was a message written:

"I’m coming. Sooner than you think. They won't believe you, because they didn't believe you then. People don't change. Neither do I."

I stepped back, closed my eyes and started screaming. I opened my eyes and I was in my bed. I was sweating. It was just a dream. He warned me. He is coming.

I took the phone in my hands and wrote Austin's number and then pressed "Call" button. *Bleep* *Bleep*

"Hello? Demetra? Is that you? Why are you calling in the middle of the night?" he answered... What should I tell him? That I had a really bad dream?

That I think that an old friend is coming to get me? But it isn't just an old friend. I just spelled two words:

"Help Me." And then I hung up on him.

He should have understood. I must not give him too much information about that friend. I couldn't sleep that night. Neither could I the following night.

Yes. He came. This guy that everyone called Imaginary Friend. My parents thought I had an Imaginary Friend as many kids in my age. But he was not imaginary. I knew he was real. There are many of them out there. They choose a kid and become friends with them. No one can see them, except from the chosen kids. I was one of those chosen ones. Harry, that's how I called him, became friends with me.

I was having really great fun with him. When I became a teenager he left me. I got over it. That's what they do. They leave you most of the times and come back when you are in the perfect age to take you with them. Sometimes they follow you until you are in this perfect age. Fortunately, Harry preferred to leave me. He is now coming back. To take me. To drink my soul. Our souls are their food. They wait decades for this special "dinner". Before they do this they try to hypnotize you.

My last wish was to write down something I wanted. That's why I'm doing this now. Harry could not deny. Imaginary Friends cannot read. He brought me a cake. It is delicious. I think I like him. He told me to go for a walk with him and tell him all my secrets! Of course I'll do! He is my friend. My old friend.

Austin was trying to get in touch with Demetra all these days. He knew something was wrong. He could not leave his true love to go away. He was in love with her. He knew it. His strong feelings filled him with courage. He went downstairs. He couldn't open the door. Some police officers were with him. They opened the door. When they entered the house they found Demetra's notes. Austin cried a lot that day. He lost her. He did not make it.

Six years later, Austin was married to Jenny and had a little daughter, Christina. One day Austin heard Christina talking to someone in her room. He entered and asked her:

"Christina, who are you talking to?"

"My friend. Say hi to him! He is sitting over there," she said and pointed at her bed. Austin looked there. He could not see anyone sitting on the bed.

"And what's your friend's name, Christy?

"Harry, dad!"


Written by Dimila1999

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets