Skip to main content

There's A Monster!


Nina believed in monsters. She was obsessed with them. She believed that there were monsters in the closet, under the bed, beneath the cellar doors, even in her father’s study. She believed they were in every nook and cranny in the house. She believed them so much that she studied everything there is to know about battling monsters and was always on her toes, even during the day.

Nina’s single father was worried for her. Although worried was not exactly the word to cut it. He was frustrated and anxious for his daughter’s sanity. He had tried everything: from trying to be an understanding and good father, explaining to her that monsters didn’t exist, to taking her to child psychiatrists, who all said that it was just a phase, that it was common for a child like her to have active imagination as long as she was not hurting anyone and that it would grow out in time. Still, as Nina stepped into her 10th birthday, she still made a fool out of herself, and her father was running all out of options.

Until one day, when her father was working late, Nina armed herself as usual with the essential “weapons” to keep herself out of the “monsters’” wrath. She was so occupied with keeping the monsters at bay in her little dark closet and under the bed that she did not hear a robber breaking into the house that stormy night. She did not hear him rummaging through the house looking for valuables, and she did not hear him coming up the stairs to see if he could find anything else in the other rooms.

So needless to say, she didn’t expect the robber coming into her room and started attacking upon seeing her to silence her. But lucky for her, due to her monster-mania, she had the necessary weapons to arm herself. Thinking that he was a monster, she defended herself with all her might, throwing blow after blow and luring him all the way to a trap she had made beforehand in an abandoned tool shed near her home. As soon as the robber caught up with her and was about to strike, she sprung the trap and caught the robber, locking him inside the tool shed.

When her father came home, she tried desperately to convince him that she had caught the “monster”, that she had him locked in the tool shed. She begged her father to come with her so that she could show him the “monster” and that he would believe her, but her father was too frustrated by his ransacked home and tired from work that he lost his cool and shouted at her to shut up and help him clean up the house.

The next few days she tried to make her father listen to her, to get him to see what she had caught. She even tried to persuade her friends to see her “monster”, but everyone was so fed up with her antics that they either ignored her or told her to buzz off. Even her father told her that the discussion was over and if she carried on like that, he will have to send her away.

Nina did not entirely grow out of her monster obsession as the child psychiatrists predicted. In fact, when she grew older, she decided to research on creatures and its mythology and earned a degree in her thesis research. But she never spoke of the “monster” she caught in the tool shed ever again, and through time, she forgot about it.

The abandoned tool shed remained abandoned till today. Some say it was haunted and no one dared to go near it. Some even say that during some nights, you can still hear sounds of moaning and groaning and a light shake at the padlocked door…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets