Skip to main content

The Monthly Journal of Stephannie Kingston (Chp5)

May 20XX

I think my power of sight is getting worse.

Since the incident with the exchange student and the haunted house in our bazaar, I’m beginning to have more frequent visitations from ‘the other side’.

It all started when my boyfriend and I were planning to go out on a drive-thru movie to watch that really hot-in-the-season flick “Evergreen of the Everglades”. He had to go purchase it weeks in advance because it was the long-awaited movie of the century and had to line for five hours before he finally got tickets for both of us. So needless to say, I made a call home to tell them I won’t be home for dinner and promising them for the umpteenth time that I will not stray away and go straight home after the movies. What can I say? I’m the only girl in the family. They have a little right to be a little overprotective.

He had to go for football practice, so I was at my favourite spot under the tree catching up on my reading while waiting for him to come and fetch me. Suddenly, I heard someone crying somewhere in at a distance. I went to investigate, following the cries and I saw a little girl at about 3 squatting under the boardwalk of the running track, crying and whimpering. I thought she was one of the kids belonging to one of the teachers in our school, so I walked towards her and asked, ‘Are you alright? Why are you crying?’

“My Mummy and Daddy… they… they didn’t come and pick me…” she sobbed, “I waited for so long but they never came… I was hurt… hurt so bad… and yet they didn’t come to save me…’

What cruel parents! I thought, who do they think they are, leaving a little girl like this to fend for herself while they go gallivanting to goodness knows where doing goodness knows what?!

She mentioned that she was hurt, so I asked, ‘You said you were hurt, can I help you?’

She didn’t answer.

“Can I help you with anything?” I repeated my question. “It’s alright. You can tell me anything. I have you know I’m rather good with children’s needs.”

It was no joke. I used to have share of working as a babysitter earning $10 an hour to look after my neighbours’ kids, which included the troublesome Mrs. Rueben’s baby triplets and her feisty five-year-old.

“You…can help…me…?” she whispered.

“Yes, anything. Just name it!”

The kid slowly looked up and asked, ‘Then…can you find…MY EYES?!’

I got the shock of my life at what I saw in front of me. She doesn’t have any eyes at all; she only had black, empty sockets that were so spookily hollow, and she was crying tears of blood! Her hands were stained red and most of the blood were running down her cheeks and dripping down her little white dress, and she stank of dead meat.

I ran for my dear life away from that ghastly girl but I could feel her chasing me. I could almost feel her hands reaching out and touching my shoulders and hear her crying right near my ears, smelling the foul stench of her breath as she cried, “MY EYES! MY EYES! YOU SAID YOU’LL HELP ME FIND MY EYES!!! YOU PROMISED!!!”

When I finally saw my boyfriend waiting for me outside the gate, I was so relieved. I turned around to see if the girl was still chasing me but she was no longer there. I couldn’t even answer when he asked me what happened because I was in critical shock. I couldn’t enjoy the movie and had huddled against my boyfriend all night, looking over my shoulder at the slightest sound, fearing that the little girl had come back, demanding for her eyes.

Needless to say, our date was a total mess and I couldn’t blame my boyfriend when he sent me home with a disappointed look on his face.

I finally learnt the truth about the girl after I asked an old-timer janitor who cleans the boardwalk every other day: Our school, before it became what it was, used to be an orphanage back in the late 60s-70s. She was one of the orphans there whom a novice monk who, unbeknownst to others, was a bit of a pedophile and a schizophrenic. He believed that the little girl was his lover in his past life and began to feel much attached to her, and even had relations with her. When she was finally being adopted and waiting for her foster parents to fetch her with a nun accompanying her, the jealous novice monk suddenly kidnapped her and hid her in his cottage deep in the forest and raped her every day, claiming that she is his wife and that she should not belong to anyone but him.

Finally, when she attempted to escape from him, he attacked her, digging her eyes out of her sockets. By the time the authorities along with her foster parents got there to arrest him, it was too late. She bled to death and before he hung at the gallows, his last words were “If I can’t have her, no one will. Not even God”, or something like that.

Do you think I have problems now?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wish Come True (A Short Story)

I woke up with a start when I found myself in a very unfamiliar place. The bed I was lying on was grand—an English-quilting blanket and 2 soft pillows with flowery laces. The whole place was fit for a king! Suddenly the door opened and there stood my dream prince: Katsuya Kimura! I gasped in astonishment for he was actually a cartoon character. I did not know that he really exist. “Wake up, dear,” he said and pulled off the blanket and handed it to a woman who looked like the maid. “You will be late for work.” “Work?” I asked. “Yes! Work! Have you forgotten your own comic workhouse, baby dear?” Comic workhouse?! I…I have became a cartoonist? That was my wildest dreams! Being a cartoonist! I undressed and changed into my beige T-shirt and black trousers at once and hurriedly finished my breakfast. Katsuya drove me to the workhouse. My, my, was it big! I’ve never seen a bigger place than this! Katsuya kissed me and said, “See you at four, OK, baby?” I blushed scarlet. I always wan

Hans and Hilda

Once upon a time there was an old miller who had two children who were twins. The boy-twin was named Hans, and he was very greedy. The girl-twin was named Hilda, and she was very lazy. Hans and Hilda had no mother, because she died whilst giving birth to their third sibling, named Engel, who had been sent away to live wtih the gypsies. Hans and Hilda were never allowed out of the mill, even when the miller went away to the market. One day, Hans was especially greedy and Hilda was especially lazy, and the old miller wept with anger as he locked them in the cellar, to teach them to be good. "Let us try to escape and live with the gypsies," said Hans, and Hilda agreed. While they were looking for a way out, a Big Brown Rat came out from behind the log pile. "I will help you escape and show you the way to the gypsies' campl," said the Big Brown Rat, "if you bring me all your father's grain." So Hans and Hilda waited until their father let them out,

I Was A Lab Assistant of Sorts (Part 3)

Hey everyone. I know it's been a minute, but I figured I would bring you up to speed on everything that happened. So, needless to say, I got out, but the story of how it happened was wild. So there we were, me and the little potato dude, just waiting for the security dude to call us back when the little guy got chatty again. “Do you think he can get us out?” he asked, not seeming sure. “I mean, if anyone can get us out it would be him, right?” “What do you base this on?” I had to think about that for a minute before answering, “Well, he's security. It's their job to protect people, right? If anyone should be able to get us out, it should be them.” It was the little dude's turn to think, something he did by slowly breathing in and out as his body puffed up and then shrank again. “I will have to trust in your experience on this matter. The only thing I know about security is that they give people tickets